homestead - Re: [Homestead] 100 years ago

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 100 years ago
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:22:52 -0400

When I visited my cousins in west Texas, we took turns bathing in a
galvanized tub on the concrete landing out their back kitchen door. They
did not have running water except at the kitchen sink, and that was an
improvement from when they first moved into the house.

A large reservoir tank sat on top of the windmill platform and my uncle ran
a pipe into the kitchen. Gravity feed and good pressure but no hot water
heater. Eventually, they bought a claw-foot tub to sit in what had been a
large closet and he ran a drain pipe out the back wall of the house. Water
was still heated on the kitchen stove but they had more privacy in a room
with a door to close.

By the time they got a hot water heater, I was not going to visit them any
more. I remember my cousin Betty Anne said the first year she went to U of
T in Austin, it was only running out of hot water that made her end a
shower.

The drain water from the tub and sink ran outside the yard fence and the
chickens and turkeys drank it. My aunt threw the left over dishwater on the
flower bed outside.