homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lycopene and other anti-oxidants

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lycopene and other anti-oxidants
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:55:35 -0500

I hae elderly neighbors who'd really slowed down on their garden - and
are precious friends at the farm next door. The husband has prostate
difficulties - and his test numbers had gotten waaay to high for our
comfort. During tomato season the numbers are in the tolerable range. I
began to grow their garden for them this year past, over at our place and
give him baskets of our home-canned tomato products for his birthdays.
It really has made a difference! I had read of a tomato with lycopene
enhanced, and hoped to grow it for him when it became available - UNTIL i
read how it cam to be.
Dang - it sounded so good, but i won't grow the Frankenfoods in the
foreseeable future. Here is an interesting article from Purdue, as to
how this tomato indadvertantly came to be:
http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/020617.Handa.lycopene.html

It was worth dreaming about, and pretty cool in some ways..... but will
stick to my OP vegies, often old varieties and leave the newer hybrids to
others who must worry about storage and transport of dull vegies!
Toni