homestead - [Homestead] I must be crazy for even thinking it..LGD

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] I must be crazy for even thinking it..LGD
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:18:32 -0500

But I am considering getting another dog....
Since the whole predator issue has cropped up again, I am thinking of
getting another LGD that will roam the farm. I've had Pyrs before when
I had the goats and sheep, and they are fine, but I really wanted
something smaller. If they only made Anatolians in smaller packages.. :)
About Anatolians, are they more or less likely to go off adventuring
than a Pyr? Do they guard by line of sight like Pyrs do, that is, if
they can see it they think it is theirs to guard? How would it work to
have a LGD running loose on property with two house dogs? When I had
the Pyrs before, they were in the pasture with the stock, and any future
dog would be loose. I don't want a porch dog, and I worry that any LGD
outside would end up on the porch to be near the house dogs instead of
out near the garden and barn. I could keep him away from the house
dogs, maybe, during those critical training months, but I don't want him
to be aggressive to my other dogs...he needs to ignore them since they
aren't a threat. I don't want him distracted by the house dogs to the
point that he fails to do his duty. I don't want him running off
chasing coyotes in the night, either. He needs to stay put. Also, I
have several friends who visit with their dogs, and I don't want an
Anatolian killing everything in sight.
I'm pretty familiar with the various LGD breeds, Akbash, Maremmas, etc.
but I can't think of one that is a medium sized dog...they are all large
dogs...am I forgetting something?
If I get another dog for outside, I'll probably get another Norwegian
Elkhound. I miss the one I had before who died a couple of years ago.
Hector was always protective of baby animals, whether chicks, ducks,
kids, lambs, or puppies. He's big enough, he's tough enough, and
doggone it, he won't kill my friends dogs when she comes to visit, but
God help any weasel or coon that would try to get into the coop.
I don't know...I just want to consider all options before I make a decision.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky