homestead - Re: [Homestead] I must be crazy for even thinking it..LGD

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I must be crazy for even thinking it..LGD
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:27:22 -0600

On 12/5/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Yes, I know, that was why I was wondering how you trained them...they
have to be outside and independent, but it doesn't take much to kill a
chicken.

The breeder I got Louie from used a single electric shock on their dog and
that was that. I have a guinea who hangs with the goats, and Louie pretty
much ignores her. I wish that I'd had full grown chickens when Louie was a
puppy. A rooster with authority or a hen with chicks would have pecked him
on the nose and that would have been that. We had no cat incidents. I didn't
even have to speak words of power. He respects the cats, and even as a pup
he'd curl up with them for a nap. Still does.

LOL...I guess we miscommunicated. At my old house, "across the road"
meant going 100 feet or so. Here, "across the road" means going 1/3 of
a mile. LOL I was trying to get an idea of his range, so to speak.

He's generally within a hundred feet, more or less. At night he's close in.

Where did he go to get the coon and the deer?

Down by the creek. It's about a quarter mile down the hill, an attractive
nuisance as far as he's concerned. As he's grown up, he doesn't stray like
that.

Hmmm. I thought it *was* the breed reputation, especially when compared
to a GP or other LGD's.
Other opinions from Anatolian owners?

Cruise over to the Anatolian list. They're friendly and helpful, and there
are lots of people with working dogs (many who show but they seem better
than your average show people).

Here's the info from the footer:

Anatolian Club Homepages:
ASDCA http://www.asdca.org/

ASDI http://www.anatoliandog.org/

ASDCGB http://www.anatolianshepherddogclub.co.uk/

See the member Gallery, do searches, check list mail. List archives:
http://apple.ease.lsoft.com/archives/anatolian-l.html

Marie