homestead - [Homestead] Near miss excitement

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Near miss excitement
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:12:01 -0500

I was typing up a draft post on dogs this afternoon when I heard wheels
screeching and looked out to see a truck pull in my neighbor's driveway
that is right next to my pasture. I recognized the truck as her son,
but I thought it strange as he was hauling butt up her driveway. Ten
minutes later, two firetrucks pull up, and 20 minutes later a fire
vehicle with a bulldozer pulled up. Since I had not seen an ambulance,
I assumed a fire, and I was right.
Planes and helicopters were flying overhead, but I couldn't see smoke.
I kind of freaked out a bit, tried to call the neighbor, but she did not
answer. Later this afternoon, I found out that she had put some trash
in the burn barrel this morning, stood there and watched it, and when it
was 'done', she went inside. Several hours later, she is talking on the
phone to her son when she looks out the window and sees the hollow on
fire. Wind was spreading the fire up the hill to our ridge(south) and
to the north and west. Her son arrived before the fire department, and
he came from further away. The fire department arrived 35 minutes after
the 911 call, so we are fortunate that the fire wasn't more serious than
it was. It never got to the treetops as there is plenty of ground fuel,
especially this time of year. This is the area of my property, up where
the tornado came through, that I wanted to do a prescribed burn.
Nancy's okay, shaken to realize how close things were to making the news
in a bad way, but okay. She's going to be fined, I think, because we
were under a red flag warning and the fire crossed her property into the
National Forest by about 50 feet. The fire department's excuse for it's
tardiness was that it was delayed by a train. If so, it's funny that
the 2 pm coal train was an hour late on it's way to the power plant, and
that Nancy's son didn't seem to have a problem with the train. Oh well.
That's the breaks when you live in the boonies.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky

  • [Homestead] Near miss excitement, EarthNSky, 12/05/2006