homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Homestedaing partners

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Homestedaing partners
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:00:53 -0500

That's one of the "funny" things about me. I can be stubborn and very opinionated. I love a good discussion or debate on just about anything. (Most of you all know this.) When I'm around people of any gender and we are just kicking back and b.s.'ing I have no problems. However, if I catch wind that some guy wants to explore a more serious relationship, the big thick wall goes up. Heaven forbid, if somebody just walks up to me cold and asks me out. It's all I can do not to run out the door. On day my oldest daughter and I were in a mall store discussing the artistic and marketing pros/cons of a large display. A man came up and joined in on the conversation. We suddenly had to leave. After we got out of earshot of the man the conversation went like this:

Mom, that man was hitting on you.
Yes, I know.
Mom, he seems very nice.
Yes, I know.
Mom, he's cute.
Yes, I know.
Mom, you're an ass.
Yes, I know.

That about sums it up.

Wendy

From: <FranksFarm AT aol.com>
I'm wondering if our independence and mindset doesn't cause many
breakups with partners not so attuned:)

Yeah, it did for me. I find that I have the opposite problem than Wendy,
who finds that men come on too strong. I have a hard time finding a man
who is strong enough to deal with me. I'm opinionated and independent,
although I don't try to push my opinions on other people...I don't really
care what other people think. I won't be controlled, but don't want a man
who lets me control him, either (my ex left all decisions up to me, but
secretly resented whatever I decided and underhandedly worked against
me...poster boy for passive aggressive). I think it would take a very
self-confident man, and they seem to be in short supply!

I'm physically pretty strong; I still can't quite lift 100#
feedsacks...but I did carry 3 ~80 pound calves across the mudflat to my
barn. I have way more stamina than some of the men I know...out of shape
couch potatoes that they are. I've always been "one of the boys" and
expected to carry my weight and fend for myself. I come across as way too
self-sufficient and competant for men to understand that I am female and
would appreciate a little pampering.

I've been on one 'date' since my
divorce, and that involved helping some guy look at outdoor furnaces. We
ended up in a barnyard, measuring and crawling around in a huge nasty,
dirty furnace (I meet the guy through Yahoo Personals, for cryin' out
loud...this was a DATE!)...I'd like just ONE date where I don't have to
shower off the soot/dirt/manure afterwards!

I'm
taking a Holistic Management workshop, and there are some really
interesting men in it, but they are either married or WAY too young. I've
stopped worrying about finding someone; if he's out there, he's got to
find me.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA