homestead - [Homestead] Question about fencing out predators

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Question about fencing out predators
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 03:32:31 -0500

Tomorrow we hope to work on and finish the coop chicken coop. While it
will give the birds some shelter, it won't protect them much against
predators. I lost chicken today, inside the fence, found headless,
neckless, and without part of her abdomen. This again happened in the
daylight hours between 1230 and 4:30 while I went to the lumberyard and
down to my neighbors to feed horses. Chicken count is now 23. :(
Obviously, the electric fence is going in tomorrow. I was telling Ron
we needed to put it on the outside, but Ron thought it would be better
to put it on the inside. His reasoning was that if I put it on the
outside, the coon lives another day to stalk the birds. However, if on
the inside of the fence, He may get in, but he won't get out. He would
be trapped in there and we would have an opportunity to shoot him and
take care of the problem immediately. What say ye??

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky