homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question about fencing out predators

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question about fencing out predators
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:43:57 EST

> Ron's not a
> chicken man, is he?

Not the whole chicken, just the breasts and legs.

It's OUTSIDE and no mistake. It isn't just one racoon (or whatever) you are
dealing with. While it might be satisfying to whip out your hog-leg 44's
with
"Say yer prayers, ya ring tailed bandit!", in reality it isn't very practical.

You have to resolve yourself to just discouraging them. Racoons are
creatures of habit and prescribed circuits of endeavor. If they get zapped a
few
times, they will change that circuit leaving your hen house out of it.

This time of year, you lose a few chickens. We have an enormous red tailed
hawk picking off the far wanderers and straglers. I can draw a bead on him,
but the vote of the clan was to leave him be. We (we and the hawk) are
simply
going to have to learn to be polite and reasonable with one another.