homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:28:35 -0600

Gene GeRue wrote:
I wonder how many of us will live so long, having now been exposed to toxics our grandparents never knew, eating more out of cans and boxes and living less from our own labor.

Of course it matters little.
My great-grandfather sold the farm he had no son to leave, invested the money in college educations for his daughters, moved with them to college, working on campus selling popcorn from a vending cart, caught tuberculosis from city living, moved to the woods to try and restore his health, became part of a parade of family members each being tended, in turn, by the one daughter who was the only family member to not get TB. My grandmother. Not much toxics as we think of, but an exposure to people in confinement and the diseases bred from that. Perhaps, for him, the toxic was a belief in modern medicine (which wasn't even really developed yet) which robbed them of the knowledge of what plants his mother (a healer of her place and time) would have used to help him/them.

Kathyann