homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:00:02 -0800 (PST)

--- Rob <becida AT comcast.net> wrote:

> Will anything but today's technology support a world
> of 6 billion or so people?

Nothing but today's technology will, unfortunately
that is unsustainable. The more we depend on
technology to make up our abuse of nature the more
vulnerable we are to a disaster that interferes with
the system we are using. Example: the Irish potato
famine, once the variety that grew so well, stopped
growing so well, there was starvation.

James Burke's "Connections" has a chapter on how
easily this could happen. Connections also is a great
read about technology and inventions and how much of
this came about.

The natural earth has great power to recover from
peoplekind's abuse and so is more sustainable but
works that way only with much much much smaller
populations.

> I remember a term Tvo used, "retroactive birth
> control".

This is hardly retroactive but a friend of mine used
to advocate that the answer a lot of the worlds
problems was radioactive toilet seats.>