homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fwd: Re: Here and gone again

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fwd: Re: Here and gone again
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:44:31 -0500

Well, I ran the msconfig thing and have about 20 or so programs in the
startup tab. I have no idea of what half of them are....or what the
implications of unchecking them will be. I have a lot of research to
do, I suppose.
But that's pretty cool...never knew that even existed...Thanks Rob.

These are all the programs that load with Windows and run in the
background. A lot of things like Adobe Acrobat run like that and take
up memory. I like to get rid of most of them, just to free up
resources. You can probably just leave them run.

To research something that looks funky, just google the word that you
see under the "start-up" item column. That should gove you some idea
iof what it is and if you need it.

MSCONFIG is not something to play with, but a great way to see what
is happening behind the scenes.

Rob