homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fwd: Re: Here and gone again

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fwd: Re: Here and gone again
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 02:49:02 -0500

1. What is WinAmp and why do I need that?
MP3 and media player, you don't.

I uninstalled it, thanks!

2. How many media players do I need and why?
None. Windows Media player is standard. Some content
is formatted for
Real Player. If you are still on dial up, you are
not going to be
downloading video anyway.

Right you are, unfortunately.

3. How do I keep Windows Update from taking up all
of my bandwidth with
it's updates? It's running constantly and I still
only have a 26.4
connection.
I set it to notify me when there are updates and
then a choose when to
install. Under security in Control panel.

The barrage of updates only lasted for about 12 hours. I did set it to notify me, and I have checked it a couple of times since, but so far, it seems to be working fine and seems to be updated enough.<g>

4. What can I do or delete to tweak things and
make everything run
quicker? I'm not used to having so many icons
next to the clock.

Start>Run>type "msconfig" >OK

Under startup. You can uncheck things that you dont
want.

I haven't done this yet....something about it scares me...sounds DOSsy....

5. Under Network Connections, I have two things
under LAN or high speed
internet, neither of which I have (only got dialup
here). Disable them.

I did that, but ended up re-enabling the 1394 thing. My mail needed it connected for some reason. Disabling the LAN did clear that computer icon from the taskbar though, and that's what I wanted, so thanks!

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky