homestead - Re: [Homestead] computers

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computers
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:01:09 -0400

I'll be leaving work soon and off line. Or on dialup...same thing.

Unless you need to be mobile, I'd go for a desktop.

Laptop upgrades are more expensive and harder to do your self. They
are easier to drop and break. Keyboard and mousing can be frustrating,
screen is smaller and cost more for less computing power.

If I was getting a laptop, I'd look at Apple. Nice hardware both for
desktop and laptop and OSX is running a UNIX kernal.

I'd suggest a desktop and I would not spend a lot of money to get the
latest and greatest. If you just type and send and read email,
internet, etc you don't need much. Buy a less expensive computer and
upgrade the RAM.

Look at the warranty, do you have to send the machine off to have it
fixed or can you take it somewhere locally. Sometimes having a local
shop build a machine for you is great, cause you can just take it to
them for upgrades and repairs.

Rob