homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fence rebuilding

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fence rebuilding
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:09:29 -0400

They are offered around here by volunteer fire departments wanting some
practice on controlling brush/grass/woods fires. Also some companies
raising pulpwood will do one to protect their assets.

One problem we have with it:
the smoke makes us sick

Also, what do they use to start the fire with?
If gasoline, ok, but there are some chemicals sprayed on by helicopter onto
the larger pulpewood tracts (and on National Forest land) which are fairly
dangerous, especially to asthma sufferers, those allergic to
organiophosphates, people on oxygen support, etc.
Before I agreed to such, I would talk with the managers to see what exactly
they propose to do.