homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fence rebuilding

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fence rebuilding
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:16:23 -0400

clhw wrote:

Also, what do they use to start the fire with?
If gasoline, ok, but there are some chemicals sprayed on by helicopter onto
the larger pulpewood tracts (and on National Forest land) which are fairly
dangerous, especially to asthma sufferers, those allergic to
organiophosphates, people on oxygen support, etc.
Before I agreed to such, I would talk with the managers to see what exactly
they propose to do.

Excellent. I had not even thought of asking that...I'll bet what they are spraying from helicopters is a fire retardant to help keep a controlled burn in place.
As for starting the fire, now remember I am hearing this from a mutual friend, not directly from the forest service dude, apparently there is some kind of law/code/restriction that prevents the authorities from actually lighting the fire. I will have to light it. This law or whatever supposedly has a name even, something like Stephen's law or something like that that uses a man's name, according to my friend. She said she was so overwhelmed talking with the guy that she couldn't remem ber exactly.
But thanks Lynn, I'll be sure to check to see if there is any spraying to be done.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky