homestead - [Homestead] Fire

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fire
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:21:55 -0500

Any large tract of woodland will need burning
off every so often anyway, and lightning usually does it for us naturally.

Bev, I don't know the logic for that. I know the logic of controlled burns but I can think of many forests that never burn.

I, too, have fought out-of-control fires. The scariest, most exhausting experiences I can recall.

Plan for fire avoidance around your buildings. Constantly think safety when designing, maintaining and using any heating device or electrical system. Develop superb safety habits.

There are no accidents. Lightning is the only ignition beyond our control. It is rare in most areas to have lightning-started forest fires. Adequate fire breaks handle them.

I feel that all
this dead wood is an accident waiting to happen.

I feel like it is the forest feeding the soil.

It is healthy to fear fire. But knowledge, planning, and maintenance avoid mistakes, what most call accidents.