homestead - [Homestead] Getting affairs in order

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Getting affairs in order
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:59:00 -0400

I've been thinking about my own mortality lately. It's time to quit
thinking about it and to get things handled. First up:
Wills....for poor folks like me, can't I just go to Office Depot and get
one of those packages to write my own will? Does Ron need to get a
separate one, or can we share one?
I plan to donate my heathen body to science(have the paperwork, just
need to fill it out and send it in, etc.), but would still like to have
a marker on my property somewhere. I can't picture it in my mind as to
what kind of marker I would want, and while I have given thought to
epitaphs in the past, I can't seem to come up with something meaningful
that isn't 'cutesy' or vain. I'd actually like to find something
completely natural and have it inscribed, just don't know if that is
possible.
I suppose that someone in the family will have some kind of memorial for
me, so I am trying to pull together a list of ideas/music/people for
that so that it's not too heavy and it happens the way I would like it
happen. This is really the hardest part so far. It's kind of like
planning a wedding, except you never know who is going to show up, when
it will be, where it will be, etc. It's an odd thing. Really, I am
starting off with a list of what I DON'T want, like, I don't want my
picture displayed, I don't want a church service memorial, etc.
Getting all of this stuff in writing in a permanent document that will
hold up in court is the trick.
Lastly, be it known here and now, that I do not want to be on life
support of any kind, at any time, for any reason. I put this in writing
out to the world to let my wishes on that be known. Maybe someone will
archive this note and if I ever inadvertently end up like Terri Schiavo,
that some of you will care enough to fight or protest or whatever to end
my life. I tell everyone this so there should be no question about it
when and if the time ever comes.
I'd be interested in hearing how some of you have gone about this chore,
not specifically your plans, but how you have finalized them, if you have.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky