homestead - [Homestead] Going to Missouri to find the ellusive affordable riverfront property

  • From: "Clint L. Novak" <CNovak AT CNS.COM>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Going to Missouri to find the ellusive affordable riverfront property
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:25:33 -0500

We are going to Missouri this weekend for 5 days to attempt, once again
to find the perfect property. I plan on spending this trip looking at
land along the Black River. Since Carol would be happy with nothing
less than at least some riverfront, we use that as a starting point. I
have some concerns about the Black River because of possible
contamination from lead, but it does not appear to be a problem where we
are looking. I personally am fascinated by the rock in the area, it has
crystal, and formations in the rock that are yellow, red, blue and
everything in between. Last summer we went out on the river canoeing
and while Carol spent all her time in the water, I spent mine looking
for crystals along the gravel bars. We hope to find something around
Centerville or Lesterville, though the river get bigger after
Lesterville. We have 3 potential pieces ranging from 20-40 acres at
about $2000 an acre, which may be somewhat high for the area. The Black
River is among the clearest we've seen of all the rivers in the Ozarks,
which is another reason we would like to find something along it. I
haven't had very good luck with realtors, seems like they've either
"just sold the property" or they just plain never get back to me, yet
the property will remain on the mls for months after it's been "sold".
Maybe this will be the time it all comes together, reguardless we still
enjoy the river trips and walking the properties, doing some
daydreaming.

Anyone that has any advice, observations, etc.., feel free to comment,
we can always use additional input.

Clint