homestead - Re: [Homestead] Info on Snakes

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Info on Snakes
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:59:25 -0500

On 8/16/06, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

During the time
of the year that the day is too hot for them, they hunt and are active at
night.

The ONLY time of year that I've seen many snakes of any kind is early
spring when it is just warm enough for them to be out and about, but
not warm enough for them to move very fast. On one memorable walk with
my seriously snake-phobic sister in either March or April (it was warm
enough for us to be wearing light jackets), Martha managed to step on
about a dozen very large bull snakes. Fortunately, this was 30 years
ago when she wasn't likely to have a cardiac attack (the snakes were
slow and no threat -- they just wanted to get the hell out of there,
but then so did Martha).

There's probably a precise herptologica answer for this, but from experience
they are not "out" when the temps stay in the low 50's and they are not active
below about 65.

I think it was probably in the low 50s on the day of the infamous
snake walk. But... that was a long time ago, and all I can swear to is
that is was a warmish day for that time of year.

As for snake bites, what James said. I've hiked often in the Shawnee
National Forest, home of rattlesnakes. I always wore boots and carried
a staff and looked where I was putting my foot next. The vibration of
feet on the ground is enough to cause most snakes that are out and
about to go elsewhere.

The advice about not putting your hands where you can't see is excellent.

Marie