homestead - Re: [Homestead] Healthy Foods

  • From: Viking <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Healthy Foods
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:27:36 -0400

FranksFarm AT aol.com wrote:

Good day,

Just couldn't resist commenting on our food system!

I'm wondering when our Health depts and Food and safety
Administration is going to start ensuring that prior to manufacture a
product must be deemed healthy, wholesome, and safe to eat.

Unfortunately, I think the answer is 'never'. Food is one of those
buyer beware things...

Have you noticed how food companies continue to add chemicals, and
products to our food that are cheap, but not healthy. Sodium content
is far too high, and high fructose corn syrup is very unhealthy too.
Salt solutions are added to meat, and can increase weight by 10%.
That means you are paying for the salt and water at the price of the
meat.

Or, sometimes, they just inject water to add weight and increase
profits. It's fraudulent and morally reprehensible, but I'm not sure
what can be done about it.

Companies also play games with package sizes -often reducing content
10-15% and keeping price the same. And a half gallon of ice cream is
fast disappearing. The new size is 25% less but price is about same
except for Breyers.

This is one of my own pet peeves. Why are there 2.5 servings in a can
of tuna?? Why are there 4 servings in a can of black olives? I can't
usually drink a whole can of coke at once, but a standard can is listed
as 1 serving.
Try to find a "3 pound can" of coffee, or a "pound can". Even the old
standard size can of beans, which used to weigh a pound, is now a few
ounces less. But, like you say, the price isn't less.

And the phosphoric acids in sodas can also pose health problems. I
could go on and on.

Yup.

Companies are serving us genetically modified products, and are not
even telling us so we can make choices!

Yup.

The other day I saw something that said that microwaving vegetables
causes them to lose much of their nutrients. Don't know if this is
true or NOT , but I'd certainly like to know if it is so or not.

Anytime you cook something, you lose nutrients, unless you are using the
juice, too, and even then you are changing what was originally there.
On the other hand, sometimes, like in the case of tomatoes, cooking them
increases their lycopenes, which is actually better for you than the raw
tomato.

And many are adding chemically formulated sugar substitutes like
sucralose too keep calories low.

Don't get me started....

I avoid all forms of sugar substitutes, diet drinks etc. like the
plague.

Me, too, and while I am on the subject, I have always avoided
acetomenophen (Tylenol and their products). I think Tylenol is probably
responsible for more liver disease than alcohol, but that's my personal
opinion. I did see a new study on this a week or so ago on the CNN
page, but it just confirmed what I already believed-the stuff is deadly,
and I can't believe that the FDA recommends this stuff for children
whose livers are still developing.

Anyone else feel this way. Frank

You betcha, Frank. I think we all do....
Good to see you posting again....

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W