homestead - Re: [Homestead] Healthy Foods

  • From: FranksFarm AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, FranksFarm AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Healthy Foods
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:03:08 EDT

Good day,

Just couldn't resist commenting on our food system!

I'm wondering when our Health depts and Food and safety Administration is
going to start ensuring that prior to manufacture a product must be deemed
healthy, wholesome, and safe to eat.

Have you noticed how food companies continue to add chemicals, and products
to our food that are cheap, but not healthy. Sodium content is far too high,
and high fructose corn syrup is very unhealthy too. Salt solutions are added
meat, and can increase weight by 10%. That means you are paying for the salt
and water at the price of the meat.

Companies also play games with package sizes -often reducing content 10-15%
and keeping price the same. And a half gallon of ice cream is fast
disappearing. The new size is 25% less but price is about same except for
Breyers.

And the phosphoric acids in sodas can also pose health problems. I could go
on and on.

Companies are serving us genetically modified products, and are not even
telling us so we can make choices!

The other day I saw something that said that microwaving vegetables causes
them to lose much of their nutrients. Don't know if this is true or NOT , but
I'd certainly like to know if it is so or not.

And many are adding chemically formulated sugar substitutes like sucralose
too keep calories low.

I avoid all forms of sugar substitutes, diet drinks etc. like the plague.

Anyone else feel this way. Frank