homestead - [Homestead] Rattlesnake encounter

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Rattlesnake encounter
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:42:05 -0400

We headed out the driveway tonight to go down to the neighbors for a
fireworks show (impressive show, too) and about 100 feet down the road,
there was a 3 ft. timber rattlesnake crossing our path....We ran over it
twice, but even after that it still coiled up and was striking
repeatedly at the tires. The neighbor went and got his shotgun and blew
it away with buckshot. The snake was escaping a freshly mowed pasture,
crossing the road and heading towards our place. When it was coiled up,
I got a good look at it from the safety of the truck, but I was close
enough that had I opened the door and stepped out, I would have stepped
right into striking range, if not stepped on it. The words, beautiful
but deadly come to mind. We saw it stretched across the road, so I know
it was 3 feet long, but coiled up, it was no larger than a dinner plate.
The hum of the rattle was quieter than I expected from such a close
range. It had a beautiful chevron like pattern on it, and the charcoal
black rattle reminded me of a narrow pine cone that had not opened to
disperse seed. For such an obvious looking snake, nature has done a
wonderful job of camouflage. Had this snake been lying on pine needles
and leaves, he would have all but disappeared. The snake's head was an
almost perfect triangle, and my first thought was "that is one evil
looking, ticked off rattlesnake". The snake never backed down or tried
to crawl away, even though he had several opportunities and plenty of
places to retreat into the woods or field. Josh shot him, separating
him into 3 sections. For such a small rattlesnake, his girth was
amazing, about 2.5 inches in diameter. We couldn't find the rattle
after Josh shot him, but it appeared to me that the snake had 7 or 8
rattles. It's kind of hard to tell when the rattle is buzzing, even
with such a close and extended look. I can only hope I never run across
that one's brother or sister, or, God forbid, his Daddy or Granddaddy.
It was beautiful, though....a perfect predator.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W