homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rattlesnake encounter

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rattlesnake encounter
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 18:13:57 -0500

I had my least problem with the troublesome mice and voles the year I saw
more than 30 copperheads in the garden (not all at once, thank Bast!). Don't know that I reckon it a good trade.

We can only hope the gods give us a good balance.

While mowing grass this spring I have seen a normal blacksnake and a large one. Both keep down mice, rats, and small rattlesnakes, the nastiest of which here is the Pygmy. But with no cats yet, we have thus far since early April trapped about a dozen mice in the house.

My experience is substantial and poignant in this regard. I want cats that are strong mice hunters because I know that keeps down the population of Pygmys and copperheads. With a year-round stream two to three hundred feet in front of the house, we have a history of plenty copperheads. And for whatever reason we have far more Pygmys than most folks around here. You do not want to be bitten by a Pygmy rattler. You can trust me on this.