homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blackberry season

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blackberry season
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 17:13:54 -0400

On 7/1/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

>9.1% Cook? What's that?

Some New York apartments do not have kitchens, just a coffee maker and a
small bar sink.

My brother (a wealthy contractor) lives in the NE outskirts of Atlanta. A
couple years ago when my family was together, my brother was talking about
possibly building new houses that didn't have kitchens--or had reduced
kitchens that had space to sit down and eat breakfast in the a.m. and a few
minor appliances and a fridge--for the few times you decided to eat
something other than cereal or a restaurant meal. When he said this, I
remember it clearly (which is getting harder for me to do, haha), I looked
at him and said "A house without a kitchen?" with a skeptical tone. His
reply "Nobody cooks, or very seldom, for upscale families who eat out 4 or 5
nights a week." He was talking about his lifestyle--and I can't imagine.
My brother and I have become almost polar opposites. We can have general
discussions about current events and finance and our family and that's about
it.

How can you not have a kitchen? I'm teaching my boys how to cook. sometimes
they offer to make meals (not often, but sometimes). They don't need to be
gourmet chefs, but they need to know how to make several meals from
scratch. I told my oldest that one day, when he wants to make a meal for
his girlfriend or fiance (or her parents), he'll be glad he learned.

Lisa