homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bev's Hot Tip of the Day

  • From: WILLIAM <billymegab AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bev's Hot Tip of the Day
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:32:14 -0700 (PDT)

I do have a garden and it seems I can manage to grow the plants and keep the
weeds at bay. But come harvest time I'm overwhelmed and can't cope. It's
been so dry lately I spend a lot of time watering (not like the old days when
it rained pretty reliably at least once a week.

But I do like the flavoured oils so I will try that. Hadn't tried it
before because I understood one hadd to be very careful with flavoured oils
or you could wind up with toxins of some sort. I have done tarragon
flavoured vinegar......

So much to so and so little time. I'm back in the 9-5 office world (after
a fairly lenghty absence so I cannot do "ll of the above" any more. Plus I
need my beauty rest :>)

WILLIAM wrote:

> Bev
>
> When do you sleep. I only dream of doing those things!

Hmmm, from about 2 AM to 8 AM....generally...
You can do these things easily....even if you don't have a garden. Buy
produce in bulk when it is in season and can it or freeze it for later.
Hot pepper oil is about the easiest thing in the world to make. I just
heat up a jar of olive oil in a saucepan, toss in about a cup of crushed
dried peppers or more...you can even add more dried peppers later if the
oil doesn't look red/hot enough, and stir for a while, keeping the oil
warm. Then I put the whole shebang in a jar for a week or so, and shake
the jar a couple of times a day. Then, I reheat the oil again, strain
out the pepper flakes and pour the oil through a coffee filter and
funnel back into the bottle. Voila! If you add up all of the time, it
probably takes less than 30-40 minutes, excluding growing and drying the
peppers and buying oil, of course. :)

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billymegab%40yahoo.com