homestead - Re: [Homestead] The King Saul Effect

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The King Saul Effect
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 06:32:24 -0500

> The goal should be honest labels

Should be, to be sure. But how to keep the process honest?

The same way we keep politicians honest: first, total apathy, then growing awareness, then demanding change. Sometimes it works.

The terms Fancy, Grade A, Vine Ripend, Wheat Bread, Natural, Fresh, Frozen, .... etc. have all been bought by food producers in a scheme carefully designed to mislead the consumer.

And they do mislead for some time. Gradually the consumers become aware and the words lose impact. Ho hum, our minds say, as we look at such words. And, sure, many consumers are simply ignorant and choose to stay that way. To protect everyone from their ignorance requires too much government, says I.

I'd like to see the vegetable
patch and get to know the cow. Or at the very least get to know the farmer.

Me, too. Impossible for most urban dwellers, where most people live. Google biggest cities population and add the numbers.