homestead - Re: [Homestead] The King Saul Effect

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The King Saul Effect
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:49:55 EDT

> The goal should be honest labels

Should be, to be sure. But how to keep the process honest? In the labeling
game, words are bought and sold to the highest bidder. The terms Fancy,
Grade A, Vine Ripend, Wheat Bread, Natural, Fresh, Frozen, .... etc. have
all
been bought by food producers in a scheme carefully designed to mislead the
consumer.

For example, meat and fish are "fresh" if they have not been frozen below
zero degrees farenheit (may vary for some products, but below a certain
temp).
An ordinary consumer sees "Fresh, not Frozen" and thinks something quite
unlike
the purchased definition. Now to be sure, I don't want to buy any fish at a
supermarket that hasn't been frozen and is still frozen when I get it. What
few times I buy such, I look at the thawed "fresh" fish to decide what I want
then ask them to go to the back and get me some that is still frozen. I
don't
object to the practice, I only object to the deception.

> . Then let the consumer decide

I wish us luck in that, but as you well know, that is not currently the case.
The agribusiness dairy industry has successfully made it illegal for dairies
to label dairy products as "contains no Bovine Growth Hormone" under the
guise that it would mislead the consumer to think that there is something
wrong
with milk that doesn't have that label. Maybe so or maybe not, but I should
think it's MY prerogative to decide that, not the mega-dairy.

As I say, I wish us luck on that. I'm a label reader, but I don't trust them
as far as I can throw them In the mean time, I'd like to see the vegetable
patch and get to know the cow. Or at the very least get to know the farmer.