homestead - Re: [Homestead] The King Saul Effect

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The King Saul Effect
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:47:55 EDT

Rob:

> Not organic maybe but then you just need to look for the 'no
> pesticides', 'no added' labels at the farmers markets.

That's certainly a step in the right direction. Food grown without
pesticides and additives is certainly better then with those things.

We now know that food grown with an abundance of chemical N, P, and K is
nutritionally incomplete compared with food grown on composted soil. If you
were
to offer food that was grown on healthy humus-rich composted soil (and
therefore needed no pesticides), what would you call it?

What you DON'T put on the food is only half the story. The rest of the tale
is what you DO put on the food, or more correctly, put on the soil.

We've already come to think of organic as what we don't put on the soil and
food. From there it is only a short step until food will by definition all
be
organic no matter how it was actually grown.