homestead - Re: [Homestead] Biodiesel and Ethenol

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Biodiesel and Ethenol
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:27:06 -0700

This is classic throw the baby out with the bath water. ANY reduction is a good thing. Plus, you reframed the discussion. Individuals can make a difference which is precisely what you do with your own little corner of the world. The advice was sound for the purpose proposed. And, we were talking diesel of which we use 6 billion gallons a year. Nor were we worrying about providing the whole world with fuel. Could you perhaps explain why others are so vigorously dissauded by you from doing anything each time anything pro-active is brought up on the list.

BTW, coconut oil is used in SVO vehicles. Some oils no longer require the purified CO2 in the refining process. You can manufacture oils from yeasts, fungus, bacteria, etc. too. One is not limited to seed oil plants. And there is also YG along with the WVO that are used. There are now closed loop plants. Steps are being made to reduce, not replace, the use of fossil fuel.

Plus, commercial boilers can, and some currently do, use SVOs that include linseed, tung, rapeseed, palm kernel, lard, butter, tallow and YG.

As to Brazil, the point wasn't comparing the size or use in Brazil, the point was they don't use virgin/first source anything. In this country alone we landfill enough wood and wood scrape from mills to create enough ethenol to fuel several fleets for a year. One more waste product that can be used.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Turpintine, for example, coconut oil, pine resin, unrefined linseed oil, raw
corn oil, etc. About a quarter of the vegetable oils produced in the world
are either suitable in their natural state or else are refined (such as fryer
oils) to the extent that they are suitable for direct use as biodiesel.