homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do about water hemlock?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do about water hemlock?
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:25:33 -0500

<<Thanks for bringing up the subject; I had been ignorant of the nasty
stuff. I did a search and from the looks of it I may have some. The
leaves seem similar to those of walnut sprouts. The flower is similar
to Queen Anne's Lace, so it's good that the leaves are so different,
the former like carrots and hemlock like a nut tree sprout.>>

Here's a site that compares water hemlock and look alikes:
http://www.nwplants.com/information/white_flowers/white_comparison.html

It's very pretty when it flowers, but it grows to 10-feet tall. Unless you
start mowing when it first comes up -- which is about the time the snow
melts -- it's almost impossible to stay ahead of it. Plus, it's highly
invasive.

<<As penance, please explain to the group
the reason you would never use Roundup but would always seek the
generic glyphosate.>>

My problem with Roundup (glyphospate too :) ) is that it is rarely not windy
around here and way too easy to spray a lot more than the target.

Marie