homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do about...bindweed?

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do about...bindweed?
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 14:18:54 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

on the mower destroying water hemlock. Does anyone know a way to eradicate
the stuff permanently short of using Roundup(which I'm considering)? (Marie)

Roundup! Horrors! For shame! As penance, please explain to the group the reason you would never use Roundup but would always seek the generic glyphosate.

What do you guys use to get rid of bindweed? I swore I'd never use Roundup (the evil!), but the thought has crossed my brain. Bindweed has infiltrated my red raspberry bed and is taking prisoners. Last year we had 1/3 the amount of raspberries. I couldn't pull it out fast enough. Last summer we were gone for a few weekends (w/ hubby at out-of-town gigs) and I swear it grew faster when we were gone. I can see it coming up this year--everything is early this year--and I've been pulling, but the bindweed is winning.