homestead - [Homestead] Places to be very wary about

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Places to be very wary about
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:37:02 -0600

The Progressive Farmer magazine has a list of its adjudged best rural places to live. Their criteria may be found on their Web page at:
http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/home
Click on the Get Started button in the box in front of the porch.

The list of 200 "best places" is at:
http://www.pfbestplaces.com/default.asp?pageAction=Display&Rank=Top200

My response to this article is the same as to previous reports, recommendations and books that purport to lead one to a best place: it could well be the kiss of death to a place that used to have low taxes and minimal traffic. Although the criteria of TPF are neither mine nor typical homesteader criteria, they do reflect certain quality-of-life issues we all care about such as clean air and low crime and low cost of living. But "more entertainment" has never been on my list.

If your county appears near the top of the list you may wish to start thinking about where you will move next.