homestead - Re: [Homestead] Places to be very wary about

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Places to be very wary about
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:29:10 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

The Progressive Farmer magazine has a list of its adjudged best rural places to live. Their criteria may be found on their Web page at:
http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer/home

The list of 200 "best places" is at:
http://www.pfbestplaces.com/default.asp?pageAction=Display&Rank=Top200

If your county appears near the top of the list you may wish to start thinking about where you will move next.

Noted that Lancaster Co., VA is #7. They have outrageous land prices up in northern VA. #9 in the SE region is Albemarle Co., VA which is Charlottesville (central VA near Blue Ridge Mts). Very pricey land there as well, they say the average home price in Charlottesville is $400k! Heaven forbid you'd like to own some land or a real farm. Glad Floyd County isn't on the list. Don't move here, please. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a "native", but we're growing too fast as it is. When rural becomes popular, where do you move to then? I heard the tail end of an article on NPR yesterday talking about the "new rural" and my thought was "that's all we need."

Lisa