homestead - [Homestead] saved broccoli seed

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] saved broccoli seed
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:55:18 -0500

Has anyone grown saved broccoli seed? I collected a handful of pods last fall and though I have seen it go to seed before, usually pulled the entire plants after their first heading and tossed them in the compost pile. Not so last year. I left them in the cole crop patch along with brussels sprouts and cauliflower and one lone red cabbage until the new year. The broccoli grew several more though smaller tops which I turned to salad and pickles. Then the seed pods appeared. I clipped several dozen pods and bagged them, hung them from the ceiling to further dry, now wonder if the forthcoming plants might be quick to bolt? Shouldn't it be two seasons before they go to seed like the other brassicas? Will the seed be even fertile? They appear dark and solid though few per pod.

  • [Homestead] saved broccoli seed, Keith B, 02/01/2006