homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Dick Fischbeck <dick_fischbeck AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:06:23 -0800 (PST)

> >Is anyone building metal structures, either domes or cylinders or
> anything?
> >Quonset huts are an old solution to deployable cheap long-lasting
> shelters
> >and that is the subject I am investigating.
> >What is the next step in shelter after tarps and tents??
>
> I've been researching metal buildings and am digging out a hillside in
> which to place one. I don't like quonsets because the curved walls
> disallow
> side shed roofs, which expand the roof cover very inexpensively. Truth
> be
> told, I think metal building are less than uplifting, but they are cheap
>
> and strong and they don't burn.

I just think metal is the logical choice for a material if I am interested in
mass-production.
Planes and ships are metal and they are beautiful.

> Not sure how big mine will be until I get the hillside excavated. This
> is
> the Ozarks and I might get into some big stone that I can't move. If I
> can
> make a sufficient flat site, I want a 30 by 30 straight-walled building
> with 6:12 roof, with the trusses 14 feet above the slab, with side shed
> 4:12 roofs covering ten-foot side carports for vehicles and extra
> storage
> for things that don't need total protection. Our local building supply
> just
> quoted me $5,711 for materials not including the slab. That includes a
> people door with hinges, handle and lockset and the materials and
> hardware
> to build two 8 by 14-foot barn doors that slide on overhead tracks
> towards
> the outside. If I run out of time to build it myself I can hire a couple

I am thinking very light weight metal, portable and slabless homes. I see
them temporarily
attached to Earth just like mobile homes are today(or should be). Gravity
does not hold them down.
Anchors do.The units can be traded in every 25 years, or whenever, for the
newest model. Old metal
homes are melted down to become the newest designed home available, like
cars, planes and ships.

The image is of a metal tent. Any layout is possible, too. These structures
need to connect and
intersect easily. Do you remember Zomes? It is related to those but much
simpler in production and
assembly and better all around.

Floors are becoming deployable and are made of metal. Modular decking makes
the floor. Floors can
also be suspended.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n87/usw/issue_21/images/arl_3.gif

These 2 or 3 ton homes are not something currently available that I know of.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs