homestead - Re: [Homestead] land prices!

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] land prices!
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:25:47 -0500

Lynda wrote:

...Contrary to popular fairytales, not all baby boomers are stupid. These folks know the bubble is going to burst and they are now debt free.
The Realtors around here tell me about the cash buyers they work with, people who think our land is cheap compared to where they live. They walk in with bunches of money and they are retired...and all of 50, 55 or 60 years old. They pay cash for the home or they buy a house and have a little $50k mortgage on a $200k+ property. I've done a few of those. Just last week we met a couple in my husband's store (The Pickin' Porch--acoustic instruments and musican's supplies--on the front half of the house used for my mortgage business), they moved to Floyd from Mass. They bought a 3000 sq ft house on 10 acres owned by a former client of mine, this person told me he sold it for his reduced asking price of $260k. In the course of conversation, the new couple mentioned that they're retired and let me tell you, they can't be older than 50--either that or their wrinkle cream works far better than mine.

Once in a while I wish I was older and had been able to take advantage of the stock market boom. Oh well, back to reality.

Lisa