homestead - [Homestead] N.E. states are declaring war on harmful non-native plants - The Boston Globe

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] N.E. states are declaring war on harmful non-native plants - The Boston Globe
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:27:38 -0700

This is the libs' pseudo-environmentalism. Nobody bothers to point out that plants can be prevented from reseeding themselves just by deadheading the spent flowers. It's hard to see which group of emotion voters is set on banning butterfly bush, so this one must be for the chemical companies, who'll sell more weed killer.

Many of the plants I've acquired for our homestead have been virtually eradicated in commerce now, and I'm still working on getting some garlic mustard from Europe. It's getting harder to find persistent strains of red clover, and big trefoil (the best leguminous cover crop for wetlands) has really had war declared on it by the ideologues.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/articles/2005/09/22/ne_states_are_declaring_war_on_harmful_non_native_plants/