homestead - Re: [Homestead] globalism & isolationism- was B. C.'s latest achievement

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] globalism & isolationism- was B. C.'s latest achievement
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:38:43 EDT

> nation is not likely to hurt another nation that is buying its products or
> services or supplying vital products or services.

Here's what I see as the breakdown of that: The global economy is in a state
of flux and we of the USA are cashing in on the flux. What I mean is this:
in local politics what I hear is 'growth, growth, growth!' Heard that 40
years ago too. Thing is, it never got the local economy anywhere because the
economy was based on getting bigger every year, not on stability. Some day,
some
time, somewhere, the limit is reached. No more room to annex, no faster
production of natural resources, etc. Then an economic philosophy based on
continual growth, continually gettting bigger, must needs collapse.

Right now the Chinese thing works because they are still willing to accept
very low return on their labor and are willing to exchange the money for US
debt. That's why things from China cost so little they are all but free. As
their standard of living rises, they demand more of the world's resources
(and
rightly so) which will eventually limit our ability to buy their goods. Also
when every filing cabinet in the Chinese government is stuffed full of our
treasury notes and other instruments of debt, what will we exchange then for
their
goods??

We are living now off the flux and transition of the global economy. That's
the thing about craving growth (ie change), it will eventually land you
somewhere you'd rather not be.