homestead - Re: [Homestead] globalism & isolationism- was B. C.'s latest achievement

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] globalism & isolationism- was B. C.'s latest achievement
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:40:36 EDT

> Isolationism won't work for the USA of today, the world is getting
> too small and we are too big.

Right, in the WalMart for all your needs, retire at 45 from your stock
earnings USA isolationism won't work. Thing is, globalism won't work
indefinately.

Your point about 'next quarter' is at the heart of it. A storm threatens and
the stock market drops, what does that mean. Ever teach a teenager (or
anyone for that matter) how to drive. Experienced drivers are looking 1/4
mile
ahead and adjusting to what they see. Neophyte drivers have a tendancy to
look
right over the hood to 10 feed in front of the car. That's us now of days,
an
investment this morning is made because of what it might earn this afternoon,
not 25 years from now. Our whole thinking is along these lines.

A friend of mine has a very large machine shop, mostly idle now. He keeps up
with the trade and said that nearly all fittings and fasteners now of days
are made in China, even those needed for building and maintaining military
equipment. Virtually all of them. So what, ask some. In a national
emergency
when China might not be our friend, the many thousands of people who once
knew
how to operate Bridgeports and lathes and such will have forgotten how or
passed
on. That's just one example.

No, we can't be isolationists and continue with business as usual. Thing is,
we are ill advised to continue with business as usual.