homestead - Re: [Homestead] . . . and the Home of the Complacent

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] . . . and the Home of the Complacent
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:33:41 -0700

How do you advise doing this?

Legally. That means living simply, so that the amount of income needed to sustain the lifestyle is not subject to taxes after all legal deductions. This is easiest if one is self-employed and can deduct as business expense a portion of a vehicle and all attendant fuel, maintenance, insurance costs. If the vehicle is owned it may be depreciated. If it is leased, then a high percentage of the lease cost is deductible. As a writer I deduct all book purchases, magazine subscriptions, and office expense, including computers and printers. After deducting mortgage insurance and personal exemptions one can reduce taxable income to a very low amount. Better is to not have a mortgage and therefore be able to live well on a lesser income.

I've not done my own tax return for quite a long time. I just checked the 2004 tax tables and it looks like everyone pays some tax, about ten percent, even with low income. Sigh. It's times like this that I feel old.

And what is your definition of who is a homesteader?

One who strives for sustenance by personal labor on land.