homestead - Re: [Homestead] . . . and the Home of the Complacent

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] . . . and the Home of the Complacent
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:16:14 -0700

Specifically, a married couple filing jointly has a standard deduction of
$10,000 and an exemption for each of them of $3,200. So they don't pay income tax on at least the first $16,400 of income. Of course there's also a $3,200 exemption for each dependent besided themselves, such as their children. The tax tables are for the amounts ABOVE the standard deduction and all exemptions.

I feel much better knowing that. Thank you. I just looked at tax tables. Sixteen four is livable in a rural place with low property taxes. Thirty-two hundred per child! Used to be six hundred when I was raising mine. Surprised our population is not growing even faster. The Mennonites and the Mexicans must be very happy about this.