homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Land of the Free?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Land of the Free?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:12:10 EDT

Marie writes:

> The one really good reason to have antibiotics available by prescription
> only is to save antibiotics from being overused and creating resistant
> strains. Alas, doctors have been overprescribing and patients have been
> overdemanding and overusing antibiotics to such an extent that new ones
> don't stay effective for long.
>
> Education would go a long way to save antibiotics, but we don't seem capable
> as a society of that.

I worked for eleven years in the antibiotic research division of (gasp) GSK.
The resistence argument has been forwarded for years, but in countries where
no prescription for antibiotics is required, there is not increase in
resistence.

Basically all antibiotics are one of two things:

1) Penicillin based
or
2) Toxic

Penicillin was a unique discovery and gift from Nature. There has not been
anything resembling it since. It is as completely harmless as any substance
can be and yet for a great range of bacteria, it is devastating. All other
antibiotics are to some extent a poison that will impair the bacteria but (it
is
hoped) do the patient little harm. Most do that. But most of the new
generation antibiotics are becoming more and more toxic. And who cares?
All
medicines are becoming alarmingly toxic for example statin drugs which are
very toxic
to the liver. Eat better, exercise, and lose weight to control cholesterol?
Noooo, blast your liver with toxins instead.

James