homestead - RE: [Homestead] The Land of the Free?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] The Land of the Free?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:57:54 -0500

<<I wonder where they find the authority to [decide Congress has control
over marijuana]. Certainly not
from the Constitution, which means that legally they need an amendment to
give them authority to regulate such things. >>

The only reason this decision was possible was that the force of propaganda
has equated marijuana with heroin and PCP. Some time ago I looked at many of
the legal depositions on this subject. Stephen Jay Gould -- definitely not a
doper -- presented compelling testimony that the weed kept him alive for as
long as he survived.

Interesting that of the dissenters, two have had cancer, and one of those is
still being treated. Clarence Thomas, obviously, takes states' rights
literally. This seems like one of those issues where the states could serve
as experimental labs for the rest of the country. OTOH, state officials
don't have to track down the offenders, and it surely won't come off well if
the Feds spend time and money running down dying people and hauling them off
to prison.

Marie