homestead - RE: [Homestead] Poison Ivy & Chiggers

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Poison Ivy & Chiggers
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:59:28 -0600

At 09:55 PM 4/7/05 -0400, Warren wrote:
>.
>What home remedies do you use for chiggers? I used to get them a lot when I
>was a tree-climbing kid and I sometimes get them now when blackberry picking
>or hunting in brush. We used to make a paste by grinding up aspirin and a
>little water and apply it to the bites. We also tried at times to apply
>clear nail polish to the bite because it was said that the chiggers burrowed
>under the skin and the nail polish would smother them. I can attest to the
>fact that aspirin relieved the discomfort but dont remember any benefit from
>the nail polish. Chiggers are especially troublesome because they seem to
>gravitate to places the sun doesn't shine.

We lived in TN when my 12 yod was four. She got chiggers so bad they
entirely covered her lower legs. We tried all of the home remedies people
talked about, but the only one that worked was nail polish. It would take
a few days before the itching stopped...but it finally stopped!

Best wishes,
Melody