homestead - RE: [Homestead] Poison Ivy & Chiggers

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Poison Ivy & Chiggers
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:55:10 -0400

.
>>When you first notice it (fresh!) pour vinegar on it. It
>>stings a bit but
>>after that there is not a problem.

Seems everyone has a home remedy for this nasty stuff. I kid you not, my
grandmother would scrub us down with clorox when we got into it. At least no
one onlist has suggested it is contagious. I hear that a lot around here,
same as people saying yellow jackets bite and fireants sting.

What home remedies do you use for chiggers? I used to get them a lot when I
was a tree-climbing kid and I sometimes get them now when blackberry picking
or hunting in brush. We used to make a paste by grinding up aspirin and a
little water and apply it to the bites. We also tried at times to apply
clear nail polish to the bite because it was said that the chiggers burrowed
under the skin and the nail polish would smother them. I can attest to the
fact that aspirin relieved the discomfort but dont remember any benefit from
the nail polish. Chiggers are especially troublesome because they seem to
gravitate to places the sun doesn't shine.

Warren