homestead - Re: [Homestead] FYI All You Bloggers

  • From: "Trevor Peck" <trevor AT ISBNread.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] FYI All You Bloggers
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:41:52 -0500

> > My plan is to get debt-free, live a long way from any sizeable city, and
> >be as close to self-sufficient as possible, thus lessening the effects of
> >the tyranny to me and to my family.
>
> Many or most of us here embrace the first three of the four. But how does
> living in the boonies lessen the effect of censorship of material on the
> Internet? Censorship laws would reach into every computer, whether in a big
> city or on an uncharted island, no?

Good question. I forget (often) that I'm expecting a future much
different than most people are. :-)

Censorship will of course affect everyone, but I'm not terribly worried
about the direct effects of censorship, especially on me, as I'm not big
on publishing my views anyway. Not sure why I'm doing it now, to tell the
truth. :-)

I am worried about the other effects - the legislation that will get
passed without us even being aware of it, the society that will arise from
people living under such rules.

This is already happening with the 60 day rule (speech by groups is
already severely restricted within sixty days of an election, and this has
been in effect for quite a while).

I'm expecting life, and living standards to get much worse as government
takes more and more power.

Living standards could drop a lot. Governments already cause extreme
poverty in many places around the world, and I expect it to happen here
(although I'm hoping it's a long way off). Living away from a city makes
my property (not just land) much less desirable to thugs.

Living well in the face of extreme property can make one very unpopular,
but living well where no one even knows you exist doesn't make any
enemies.

I rely on the Internet, and the labor of other people (money can only buy
what someone has makes), for my living now, but I hope that before too
many more of these laws are passed I won't. So "Great Depression II"
shouldn't affect me much. I hope.

- Trevor.

For Web Site Design and Hosting visit:
http://www.pecktec.com
Being the best isn't easy, but we think you're worth it!