homestead - Re: [Homestead] FYI All You Bloggers

  • From: "Trevor Peck" <trevor AT ISBNread.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] FYI All You Bloggers
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:34:59 -0500

> Many will resist sudden losses of freedoms. Big Brother types typically
> make changes slowly, the frog in the rising temperature pot scenario being
> well known. Sudden changes awaken the masses and revolution is birthed.

This, unfortunately, is not a *sudden* loss of freedom. This has been
going on for years. As bills are passed that usurp your freedom, they are
simply labelled as something else, and you don't hear about it until
someone is arrested and punished. At that point, it is *amazingly*
difficult to do anything about it.

If we continue to count on the *many* that will resist, and don't use
what peaceful means are ours now, then we're going to lose.

Remember, the *people* of Germany, Russia, China, etc... didn't want to
lose what freedom they had either, but they did.

Current opinion seems to simply label "others" as stupid, and say "that
won't happen here." But you can see many of the numerous flaws in that
argument in the time it takes to read that sentence.

> I welcomed the Internet as a great democratizing tool, the ability to
> freely exchange words with anyone around the world.

Me too... and they'll have a hard time controlling it. But, since it may
be the downfall of every tyrannical government, they will spare no expense
in trying.

> Please, one of you
> computer geniuses, explain how any government can control what we send.

They can't control what you send. But the methods are already in place to
control who receives it - or not.

> Seems to me that the plethora of spam, not to mention viri, is an example
> of inability to control the cyber waves.

Far from it... it's going to be the major excuse used to gain control.
Just as the World Trade Center attacks were used to justify attacking a
country that not only had done nothing to us, and had nothing to do with
those attacks, but was an active enemy of those who were responsible.

Remember, Freedom of speech, that great right protected for us by the
FIRST amendment, now means nothing in a court of law as applied to
political discourse - the very thing it was designed to protect.

That didn't happen overnight. And neither is this. But it *is* happening.

I know I'm simply an alarmist, and can be dismissed easily with that
label... but if *you* (not just Gene, but any reader) do care about the
freedom you have, do the research. I'm not talking about some secret
conspiracy set to do something in the future, I'm talking about real
legislation, rules and judgements that are happening right now.

http://www.downsizedc.org is a good place to start, if you're interested.

I think the battle is already lost, not because "we the people" can't
stop this... but because we won't.

My plan is to get debt-free, live a long way from any sizeable city, and
be as close to self-sufficient as possible, thus lessening the effects of
the tyranny to me and to my family.

- Trevor.

For Web Site Design and Hosting visit:
http://www.pecktec.com
Being the best isn't easy, but we think you're worth it!