homestead - Re: [Homestead] FYI All You Bloggers

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] FYI All You Bloggers
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:23:05 -0700

At 06:58 AM 3/30/05 -0700, you wrote:

>>When we can no longer discuss these things, in this forum or any other,
>>they will be able to do whatever they like. And the fact that they already
>>want this to happen is proof that they would like some things we're not
>>going to like very much.

>I welcomed the Internet as a great democratizing tool, the ability to
>freely exchange words with anyone around the world. Please, one of you
>computer geniuses, explain how any government can control what we send.
>Seems to me that the plethora of spam, not to mention viri, is an example
>of inability to control the cyber waves.

Not that I am a computer genius, but I have *lots* of opinions! <grin>

Just like in the rest of history, the government/police won't be able to
catch everyone, but when they get a few they will be held up & punished as
a public example.

As it is, and Steve can explain better than I, one issue that makes it
possible for the feds to spy and punish is the fact that ISPs are not
allowed to encrypt so well that the feds can't get in. Email is not
private. Combine that with the national database of people that will be in
effect with the new national i.d. (AKA: driver's licenses) it will make
people a lot easier to track in all aspects of life.

If you wonder how they will enforce such a seemingly impossible task,
simply look to past history. Look at what happened with underground
newspaper agencies trying to expose corrupt governments, with groups of
people assembling to discuss the problems with the government, and simply
with individuals discussing what they didn't like about a particular
leader. (There is one book that discusses such a thing happening during
WWII. It is entitled _Three Against Hitler_. It is a true story, written
by one of the survivors.) This is not a new thing, but just the same old
tyranny.

Best wishes,
Melody