homestead - [Homestead] Chicken soup pizza

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chicken soup pizza
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:05:16 -0700

Two nights ago I made a standard chicken soup recipe: boil a whole chicken, get rid of all bones, cut up meat into bite-size, add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, salt and red pepper. I had thought to use noodles but there were nice red potatoes at the store so I cut a couple up and put them in. The soup was good.

But the lack of noodles bothered my noodle. So last night, in a fit to use up lots of the solids, so I could then add noodles, I made what to me is a new pizza.

Vegans should now strike the delete key.

Here in the city I use round, flat, Italian herb bread for the skin. I skimmed the congealed chicken fat and smeared it on as a "sauce." Next went a thick layer of Mozzarella and Mediterranean cheese mix. Then, using a fork, I picked out chunks of the chicken and arranged them, then added some carrots and red bell pepper for pretty. Chris was feeling a bit off her feed so I peeled a bulb of garlic, cut the cloves in two and added them. Thirteen minutes at 450 degrees on the pizza stone and I declared it a pizza.

It was very well received by the diners.

Had I known I would do such a thing, I would have strained the solids from the broth before refrigeration. After a night in the fridge, the whole mess is like a thick stew and it's hard to separate the solids. Excess fat ran over the sides onto the stone, making a bit of a mess.