homestead - [Homestead] Something to muse on

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Something to muse on
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:12:10 -0700

"Drawn forward by debt, desire, or both, Americans are emerging as the first addicts of the technological age, driven still by some ancient instinct for self-preservation that in our time of affluence is misplaced. . . .It is in this blind pursuit of material prosperity that Americans have begun to push the boundaries of human adaptation, as is evidenced by rising levels of greed, anxiety, and obesity."
--From American Mania: When More is Not Enough, by Peter C. Whybrow M.D., published by W.W. Norton & Company Inc.

(Found in the AARP Bulletin / February 2005)